psv2neo

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Mon Mar 9 15:18:01 EST 1992

In article <29BBBF43.3495 at orion.oac.uci.edu> shoibal at sanger.bio.uci.edu (Datta Shoibal) writes:
>does anybody have the complete nucleotide sequence of psv2neo or any of the
>psv2 series of vectors originated by Berg and Mulligan (I think) way back
>in the early '80s. i have been trying to piece together this plasmid from the
>information available but it is proving to be a losing proposition. i would
>appreciate any input on this.
>
>sincerely,
>shoibal

This is from using Internet Gopher to ftp.bio.indiana.edu, where there is
a copy of Genbank indexed by key words.   The first number is the accession
number by which you can fetch the full sequence entry.  The first 3 entries
mention psv2 cloning vector in their documentation.

                       Search (keyword,species...): psv2

          1.  M11818 Human adenosine deaminase gene, exon 3..
          2.  M12605 Human alpha-globin gene cluster on chromosome 16, pseudo.
          3.  M25590 Rat androgen-dependent protein mRNA, complete cds..
   -->    4.  M77788 pSV2-Cat cloning vector..

This Gopher Genbank server has been announced and discussed on the
bionet.software newsgroup in recent weeks.  The basic patter is

  a. Gopher is a new network client-server form, like telnet or ftp but
     not the same.  It is pretty easy to use.  It provides you with
     a menu of documents and folders with more documents and question
     services to let you search for key words in various data files.

  b. You need client software and a computer with an internet connection.
    There is software for many kinds of client computers, including Mac,
    MSDos, Unix, VMS-Vax, and IBM VM/... This software is available via
    anonymous ftp to boombox.micro.umn.edu, in pub/gopher, or copies are
    at ftp.bio.indiana.edu, in util/gopher/.  Non computer people may need
    the help of computer trained people to set it up properly (as for
    most other network client software like telnet or ftp programs).

  There are now several active "Bio Gophers" that include access to Genbank,
EMBL, Prosite, Swissprot, and several other biology databanks.  These
are indexed and allow you to do keyword searches very quickly, and pull
out interesting entries.

With the unix client program, you get to my gopher hole as
  gopher ftp.bio.indiana.edu
and there are pointers at this gopher to the other bio gophers in
Switzerland (Reinhard Doelz's nice gopher at bioftp.unibas.ch, which
is at the moment off the network), and Italy and Israel.  There will
be others in the near future I hear.

-- Don
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu