None

John Nash num208jn at MBDS.NRC.CA
Tue Mar 3 16:10:15 EST 1992

In article <1992Mar3.155817.24768 at fccc.edu>, ober at castor.fccc.edu (Maggie Ober) writes:
>A while ago, before I needed to know about it, a sales rep told me how his
>company was supplying DNA sequencing reagents in microtiter dishes.  Now
>I need to know and can't for the life of me remember which company it was.
>Do any of you have experience sequencing in microtiter dishes?  Who supplies
>them, whose are best, are they worth using?  Thanks in advance for any info
>you can provide.  Maggie Ober

We don't buy our reagents in microtitre trays, but a couple of us at
NRC do our Sequenase sequencing in little Nunc mini-microtitre trays
all the time.  These are little trays that hold approx 16 ul.  We do
the 37 deg termination reactions on heat blocks that have been turned
upside down (so the holes are on the bottom).  The heat-before-load
step has to be done at 70 deg or so, as the trays don't like it much
higher.

I like it as one of my pet hates is capping/uncapping Eppy tubes while
wearing gloves.  I've never had any carryover from one well to
another.  Also, when I add the DNA, etc from the extension reaction to
the termination reaction, I find that I don't need to change tips
while dispensing from the extension reaction to the G to A to T to C
termination reactions (guess my loading order :-) !!), and I don't
have to "pump" the micropipette to mix the reagents.  The same goes
for the STOP dye. You just have to be careful a colleague doesn't dump
a sample on the tray while it's in the freezer.

You could probably dispense the reagents yourself using a multichannel
pipette, and save some money.

cheers,  John.

Dr. John Nash,                       |
Cell Systems Section,                | Email:
Institute for Biological Sciences,   | Preferred: John.Nash at NRC.CA
National Research Council of Canada, | or       : num208jn at mbds.nrc.ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.             |
      ==>  Disclaimer:  All opinions are mine, not NRC's!  <==