Bind silane protocols for seq gels [A Procedure]

Bill Melchior, NCTR/FDA wmelchior at NTDOC.NCTNET.GOV
Mon Mar 9 09:57:37 EST 1992

>This is protocol is of extreme interest to me since I was about to jump off
>the deep end and try drying a sequencing gel without benefit of a gel drier
>tommorrow.  The protocol I was going to follow though was published in
>Biotechniques 11(4):473 by Aaron Jastrow.  He describes the use of a "Curl
<stuff deleted>
>Has anyone tried this?  I'm going to try it on a test gel at least.

Mike

I've not tried a hair dryer.  I now use a large oven, set to 110 deg C.
An internal fan to circulate the air speeds drying; I usually go about 1-1/4
hours.  Before it was available, I placed the glass plate with the gel on it
on an aluminum plate suspended about 1/2-1 cm above a hot plate.  The only
problem with this is that's its easy to get the metal too hot, causing the
glass plate to crack; the oven is easier to use safely.  Since the fixing
soak is so short I've always used it.  (I've read that it's more important
to remove the urea for 35-S than for 32-P.)

Note that Jastrow says he dries "until the gel is no longer sticky to the
touch".  In my experience, that's not a reliable criterion.  I've had the
gel seem dry on the surface, but evidently still be damp inside, since the
film has sometimes stuck to the gel after overnight exposure.  I assume that
internal moisture slowly diffuses to the temporarily dry surface.

Good luck,

Bill Melchior                                ||   Evolution, as described in
National Center for Toxicological Research   ||   J. A. Paulos' _Innumeracy_:
Jefferson, AR  72079                         ||
(501) 543-7206                               ||  "Eventually, primitive life
wmelchior at ntdoc.nctnet.gov                   ||   malls."