genomic DNA preps

Darin O'Brien obrien at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Fri May 1 11:47:06 EST 1992

We were wondering if there is any way to perform genomic DNA preps from
mammalian tissue culture cells without the use of phenol/chloroform extraction.
There is an interesting article to this effect in "Nucleic Acids Research",
Vol. 18, No. 4, p. 1074.  However, when we perform this method we are having
problems with DNA degaradation.  This article suggests the use of large glass
particles and cells solubilized in guanidine thiocyanate/0.1 M EDTA (pH 8.0).
Is there anyway to resolve this problem?