Yeast X-gal minimal media plates?

Dubear Kroening dubear at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Thu Nov 12 18:16:14 EST 1992

Hi netters,

I hope someone can help me.  We are trying to make selective plates (SD) for
yeast that contain X-gal and a nonfermentable carbon source (glycerol, ethanol,
galactose, etc...).  We can get good growth and color formation using selective
plates containing glucose, but when we try a nonfermentable carbon source, we
get no growth.  We have searched the literature extensively, but can find no
references for what we want.  Does this mean it's not possible?  Any info, ideasor other suggestions would be welcomed greatly.  If you don't want to post you
can email me directly   dubear at molbio.cbs.umn.edu

Thanks in advance,

Dubear