Live Bgal detection

Keith Robison robison1 at
Thu Nov 19 10:50:54 EST 1992

>Hey all! I wonder if anyone can recommend a way of detecting
>B-galactosidase activity in living eukaryotic tissue or cells
>without having to fix them? Well, if you can't think of one, how
>about a different reporter gene that can be detected in live

Look in Molecular Bioprobes' catalog -- they have a number of
substrates for a number of enzymes (including lacZ) which can
be used in living tissue.  Luciferases are another option --
either the firefly or bacterial ones (which use different

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Cellular & Developmental Biology
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at