Multi-Pol DNA Sequencing System

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Fri Nov 20 07:58:00 EST 1992

In article <1992Nov19.103922.1 at kean.ucs.mun.ca>, mulligan at kean.ucs.mun.ca (Martin E. Mulligan) writes...
>Has anyone ever used the Multi-Pol DNA Sequencing System sold by
>Clontech?  Can you recommend it or otherwise?  In particular, how
>does it compare with Sequenase?  By the time we pay for extra dry ice
>and shipping, Sequenase kits become prohibitively expensive here - I'd
>like to find a reliable alternative and would be interested in other
>labs' experiences with other sequencing systems.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Martin E. Mulligan
>Dept. of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland
>
>email: mulligan at kean.ucs.mun.ca

Hi,
        We've never tried the Multi-Pol DNA Sequencing System but it
originally was introduced because the two-step reaction used in the
Tabor-Richardson Sequenase paper gave very faint data in the regions
close to the priming site.  I think that problem now has been eliminated
in the present Sequenase protocols.
        As for saving money,  buy one kit, mainly to obtain an "tried and
true" control as well as a copy of the protocol, AND THEN buy the "kit
components" separately and make your own "kit".  This is a very inexpensive
approach if, for example, you will be doing alot of sequencing and take
the time to investigate using a "home made" kit based on the commercial
"kit".  If it saves you money, then make your own kit.
        I'm not a big believer in "kits" but do feel they have their place
in the laboratory, expecially when a new procedure is being tried.
        I'm a little hesitant to send this message as I don't think we
need another "kit-war" but this gives me the opportunity to put a plug
in for the AUTOSEQS at NET.BIO.NET.

  * * * * * * * * * * * *  AUTOSEQS at NET.BIO.NET * * * * * * * * * * * *
  * * * * * a forum which deals with automated DNA sequencing.* * * * *
  * Subscription requests for AUTOSEQS at NET.BIO.NET regardless of your *
  * geographical location should be directed to BIOSCI at NET.BIO.NET as *
  * long as this list remains in its current status.  All messages to *
  * the list should be sent only to autoseqs at net.bio.net.             *
Cheers........bruce