Live Bgal detection

jasper at vax.path.ox.ac.uk jasper at vax.path.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 22 06:01:28 EST 1992

In article <robison1.722188254 at husc10>, robison1 at husc10.harvard.edu (Keith Robison) writes:

>>Hey all! I wonder if anyone can recommend a way of detecting
>>B-galactosidase activity in living eukaryotic tissue or cells
>>without having to fix them? Well, if you can't think of one, how
>>about a different reporter gene that can be detected in live
>>tissue?
>
> Look in Molecular Bioprobes' catalog -- they have a number of
> substrates for a number of enzymes (including lacZ) which can
> be used in living tissue.  Luciferases are another option --
> either the firefly or bacterial ones (which use different
> substrates).

Molecular Probes will give you a list of relevant refernces with whatever you
buy, but a recent elegant paper you might want to check out is Reddy et al,
PNAS vol 89, pp 6721 - 6725 as a starting point for this. They are using
fluorescein di-beta-D-galactopyranoside at 1mM final, and are using this for
FACS.

regards,   jasper

Jasper Rees
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology