Random mutagenesis by PCR?

Cornelius Krasel zxmkr08 at mailserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Oct 1 20:09:26 EST 1992

Dear Netters,

a colleague is searching for a method to mutagenize randomly parts of
a vector (i.e. the insert but not the necessary parts). In a recent
Science article (Science 257, 635: A.A.Beaudry and G.F.Joyce, Directed
Evolution of an RNA Enzyme) a method has been mentioned to do this
by using PCR. There are several references to journals which we are
completely unaware of:
Technique 1, 11(1989)
PCR Methods Appl. 2, 28(1992) (we have asked for a reprint of this
  one).

Maybe some of you has already used these or similar techniques (there
are rumours about adding Manganese to the buffer) and could enlighten
us? Please send email, I'll summarize.

Thanks in advance, Cornelius.
--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Department of Physiological Chemistry, U Tuebingen    */
/* email: krasel at mailserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de (Internet)                  */