Protease inhibitors

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Tue Oct 13 20:26:26 EST 1992

Andre: Tried to respond by e-mail but it bounced; here's my answer.

550 NANTEL at UNCVX1.BITNET... Host unknown

Andre,

It's OK to do biochemistry without a license...I'm a cell biologist without
a biochem license myself.

The best approach to protease inhibition was summarized by a friend of
mine: "If you've got it, use it".  Your problem with inhibition of column
binding is a refutation of this principle, I guess.

The two best sources (quick, too!) I know of are a recent Methods in
Enzymology entitled "Guide to Protein Purification" (Deutcher, M, ed.),
sorry I'm at home and don't have a more complete ref, and a *free* guide
put out by the Boehringer-Mannheim folks.

Basically, in my simplistic view, all protease inhibitors fall into groups:
serine protease inhibitors (PMSF, DFP), metalloprotease inhibitors (EDTA),
etc.

If you know what your protease activity is (ha!), use the drug specific to
your purpose.  If, like the rest of the world, you don't, then
trial-and-error is the rule...

We use aprotinin (serine protease inhibitor), leupeptin (serine/thiol
protease inhibitor), pepstatin (acid protease inhib), PMSF (serine again),
EDTA (metalloprotease inhib), not because we have any special knowledge,
but because that's what's evolved for us over the last 5 years and if it
ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hope this helps in some vague way.

Jim

Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu