PCR: what to look for in a machine

Christian Fritze fri0 at quads.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 19 16:17:10 EST 1992

We are about to buy our lab's first ever PCR machine. An industrious post-
doc in the lab has researched many of the available offerings, and we are
looking for some advice from experienced users about what makes the
difference between a good and bad design.

Specifically, we are faced with the following choices:

Oven (air) heat vs. blocks
Oil vs. no oil/fancier stuff
Peltier vs. water vs. compressor refrigerator vs. Stratagene's Robocycler
Sample capacity
In block vs. in tube temperature sensor

Any suggestions on which considerations are important would be appreciated.
Thanks.
--
Christian E. Fritze                   |                            AOL:geneman
University of Chicago                 |               fri0 at midway.uchicago.edu
Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology   |   "No one ever died of laughing" -M.B.