"PCR Methods and Applications"

Tue Oct 20 08:16:26 EST 1992

PCR methods and applications" is published by Cold Spring Harbor laboratory
Press 1 Bungtown Road Cold spring Harbor NY 11724.  Ph: (516) 367-8492

They sent few issues of the first volume free for many people.
If you ask for it, I beleive they might send you some free.
As you might be able to guess, Perkin Elmer is sponsoring the journal.
As with any other journal there is a good mix of good-useful and
not so-useful articles.  But on the whole for people who do a lot of
PCR, I recommend this journal.

One comment about the format.  Many journal have started providing short
articles with no summary.  I think this makes it very difficult to understand
the main point of the article without reading the entire manuscript.
In the case of PCR methods... they have whole columns empty.  Instead they
can easily limit the size of the abstract and yet provide a succint one.
Also for those people who access these through med line etc., if there is
no abstract, it is difficult to convince me to take the trouble of finding
out the article to see what relationship does the text have to the title.
Hope somebody out there who has some input is reading.
I am extremely sorry for the foulup in my posting yesterday.
Raj Shankarappa
Univ of Pittsburgh.