PCR machines

John Alsobrook ALSOBROOK at biomed.med.yale.edu
Thu Oct 22 15:21:45 EST 1992

In <9210211752.AA25984 at net.bio.net> preissj at CLVAX1.CL.MSU.EDU writes:

> 	I also did some research on a PCR machine purchase.
>
> Requirements:
> 1.	= or < 1 degree C/sec ramp time (most important)
> 2.	sample volume capacity for numbers (RAPD mapping) or cloning
> 3.	I prefer a cold holding cycle for overnight runs
> 4.	I prefer machines that heat all sides of the tube (no mineral oil)

... cool stuff deleted ...

> Things I found from experience and that of friends
>
> 1.	Nobody I met was happy with the water circulation heat/cool units
> 		too slow  on ramp times

... cool stuff deleted ...

> By the way, slow ramp times seem to radically increase undefined side
> reactions, resulting in lots of background and little product.  I have seen
>
> 			Dr. Leonard N. Bloksberg
> 			PreissJ at clvax1.cl.msu.edu
> 			MI State University, Dept of Biochemistry

Has anyone tried the new Stratagene cycler? It uses 4 constant-temp
blocks, and a robotic arm to move tubes from one temp to the next;
they claim ramp times that are next to nothing!

*                                       | "Giving money and power to the   *
* John Alsobrook                        |    government is like giving     *
* Child Study Center                    |     whiskey and car keys to      *
* Yale University School of Medicine    |  teenage boys." - P.J. O'Rourke  *