Northern Hyb:

Pierre Jelenc pcj1 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Mon Oct 26 22:00:18 EST 1992

In article <1chpgaINNdsb at matt.ksu.ksu.edu> jaishre at matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Jaishree Muppala Chittoor) writes:
>Dear Netters,
>
>Is there any reason (other than size fractionation) for running RNA on
>a gel containing formaldehyde.  Why not run it on plain agarose gel?
>Has anyone tried it.  I am working with Rice RNA.  Will running RNA
>in just agarose gel affect hybridization.  What is the function of
>glyoxal that is used  during electrophoresis of RNA.
>
>Bye
>Jaishree

You do not nees formaldehyde in the gel, it is enough to have it in the
sample.

If you want to avoid formaldehyde altogether, and still keep your RNA
denatured, dissolve the sample in formamide, and run in an agarose gel
that was dialysed vs 8M urea in TEA buffer. It is almost as sharp as
formaldehyde gels (which are not that sharp anyway).

Pierre

Pierre Jelenc                        pcj1 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
                                    Columbia University, New York