Gene targeting and T-DNA insertion

J Preiss--Seq Anal preissj at CLVAX1.CL.MSU.EDU
Thu Oct 29 14:03:00 EST 1992

Regarding Mark Jorkans recent response to Ed Rybickis request for info on
gene targeting, Mark asserts that insertion of Agro T-DNA is random.

	In fact, there is no data to suggest that T-DNA insertion is either
random or directed.  Some assertions of randomness were once made based on
7 insertions (3 of which on the same of the same of chromosome 5 in petunia),
and some inferences were made on the fact that you can easily get insertions
in several places around the genome.  Considering the large size of the target
(the entire genome) however, this is not surprizing.

	(oops, that was 3 on the same arm of chromosome 5)

	When I was working with Dr. C. I. Kado, I proposed trying to put this
question to rest with some real data and critical experiments.  At the time
we had other priorities, and the question remains ambiguous.  I think it
would make a great project for a grad student.  I would be happy to share
references and experimental design ideas if there is still interest.  In the
meantime, don't be so sure that we know what's going on with Agro insertions.
There's still a lot to sort out.

	Dr. Leonard N. Bloksberg
	Dept. of Biochemistry
	Michigan State University