HOT-START

Fri Sep 25 16:03:27 EST 1992

	Since there seems to be a lot of traffic now and before about
the use of HOt start, I have a simple question.
	I routinely incubate my samples at 94C for 2 min before starting
the cycling.  I stick my tubes in the block only after the block has
reached a temperature of more than 55C.  Untill then the samples stay
on ice.  The few seconds that the sample is taken through at lower
annealing temperatures I have difficulty believing it is going to
make a lot of difference.
	My question is whether these few seconds that it takes for
the sample to attain specific annealing temperature is going to
adversely affect the outcome.  Has someone attempted this or am I missing
something big.  I would appreciate any clarifications.
Raj Shankarappa
Univ of Pittsburgh