UV Shadowing

Dennis J. Templeton djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Thu Sep 24 11:59:31 EST 1992

In a previous article, bugg at mbcf.stjude.org () says:

>In article <01GOMH1R84K28WVYND at INET.D48.LILLY.COM>, SMITH_DENNIS_P at LILLY.COM ("DENNIS P. SMITH") writes:
>> Need advice of how to take photograph of an oligonucleotides using UV
>> shadowing. Can anyone suggest a reliable technique? Thanks DPSMITH
>
>Hi!  To UV shadow an oligonucleotide, we pick the gel up on an intensifying
>screen - like you would get out of a film casette.  Then, we shine a hand-held
>UV lamp on it in the dark.  To take a photograph, we just put the UV lamp down

I mentioned this once before, but it is worth repeating... Not ALL
intensifying screens work for this application, some just barely glow.
Specifically, none of our Dupont Cronex (bought 2 years ago) work.
If yours does, set it aside for this purpose.

TLC plates "with fluorescence indicator" all seem to work though.

dennis