substitute PCR Gems

Bill Melchior, NCTR/FDA wmelchior at NTBTOX.NCTR.FDA.GOV
Wed Sep 23 09:46:56 EST 1992

Some time ago there was a message here that suggested using Paraplast for
hot-start PCR.  I thought I would note that people here have confirmed that
Paraplast works well.  They use half a pellet per tube.  Simply pressing on
a pellet with a sterile pipet tip breaks it in half; it can then be lifted up
with the pipet tip and added to the tube.  They are also using the Paraplast
for cycle sequencing, since the absence of oil makes sample recovery easier.

This group is using the Paraplast pellets without DMSO.  It costs less than
$10 per kilo.
The opinions stated are mine, not those of NCTR or its sponsoring organizations.

Bill Melchior                                ||     OMNISCIENCE
National Center for Toxicological Research   ||    Knowing what
Jefferson, AR  72079                         ||    thou knowest not
(501) 543-7206                               ||    is in a sense
                                             ||    omniscience.
WMELCHIOR at NTDOC.NCTR.FDA.GOV                 ||       from Grooks, Piet Hein