Cellophane

frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Mon Sep 21 13:18:51 EST 1992

In article <9209181922.AA26228 at resunix.ri.sickkids.on.ca> jhu at RESUNIX.RI.SICKKIDS.ON.CA writes:
>Hi Netters:
>        Could anybody tell me where to get Cellophane cheaper than that
>from
>BioRad?  Thank you in advance for the information.
>
>Jim Hu, Ph.D, Research Institute
>Hospitol for Sick Children
>Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 1X8
>Phone:416-813-6429
>FAX:  416-813-5085
>e-mail: jhu at sickkids.on.ca

It's not entirely clear what you're asking for, but the following may help.
If you need extra-wide plastic wrap (eg. for covering seq. gels while
drying them down) look in the Yellow Pages under "Restaurant Supplies"
Virtually any Restaurant supply company will sell it to you.

True cellophane is a little harder to get. (Made of cellulose, I believe).
Colored cellophane is used in theaters as filter material for colored
spotlights. Perhaps the Y.P. in your area will list a theater supply
company. I have not ordered this stuff myself, but got this story from
a photobiologist who needed red filters for phytochrome work.

While we're on the subject of saving money, you can make your own
sequencing combs and spacers from 0.2 or 0.4 mm mylar, which is available
at many industrial plastic supply companies. (See Y.P. under "Plastics"). For
under $50 you can get what amounts to a lifetime supply of this material.

Let your fingers do the walking and save!

Brian Fristensky                | Unintentionally funny qoute of the month:
Department of Plant Science     |
University of Manitoba          | Rev. Jerry Falwell denounces Bill Clinton,
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    | saying that his "misquoting and manipulating
frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca          | holy scripture for political purposes should
Office phone:   204-474-6085    | be offensive to millions of Americans."
FAX:            204-261-5732    |