MICROPIPETE CALIBRATION ?

Tod Critchlow tcritchl at sdcc3.ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 21 11:50:49 EST 1992

In article <9209202039.AA01730 at genbank.bio.net>, WAGNERF at BRUNB.BITNET (WAGNER FONTES) writes:

> HI NET-FOLKS,
>
>    This week I found out that a few micropipetes are out of range
> (taking 5 microliters less than they should). Does anybody know how
> to calibrate it ? The brand is Gilson, the model is "Pipetman"
> (the blue ones, found in almost every lab). Getting specialized service
> people here is not an easy task.

Somebody else suggested throwing out an out of calibration pipetman.

DON'T DO THAT.  IT IS POSSIBLE TO RECALIBRATE A PIPETMAN.

Bill Warren had a good discription of cleaning the plunger, barrel
and o-rings.  I have a copy of a protocol for the whole
process, including instructions on how to calibrate the things.

I believe Gilson also sells a tool for adjusting the calibration
on their newer models.  For the older models, an allen wrench and
a screw driver are all that is needed.

I will try to transcibe a copy of the protocol here,
but if anyone else knows of an electronic copy of a
similar protocol, it will save me much typing.