dam(n)- e.coli

Klaus v. Knoblauch knoblauch at rz-berlin.mpg.de
Sat Sep 19 15:21:12 EST 1992

In article <9209171348.AA21614 at phobos.med.pitt.edu>, bsh at MED.PITT.EDU (Basavaraju Shankarappa) writes:

> This question is for people who have worked with dam- E.coli.
> I was given a dam- strain called GM33.  When I attempted to make competent
> cells by the CaCl2 procedure, the cells would aggregate kind of precipitate
> the moment 100 mM CaCl2 solution is added.

Hi out there,
we were just discussing this dam(n) - story (i myself once got stuck with a
dam-sensitive enzyme BglI once) when a fellow worker in the lab mentioned the
following:
He's overcome that prob. by using competent JM110 cells (avail. from
Stratagene). They transform nicely and the plasmid-DNA isolated from these
recombinants is cut happily with BclI.
Great news to me, I should have known this 'couple 'years before, when I tried
to make GM33 competent !!! Fortunately I found a different enzyme at that
time...

				Klaus

PS: None of us has any relation with STRATAGENE.
InterNet:  Knoblauch at rz-berlin.mpg.de
EAN     :  Knoblauch at mpimg-berlin.mpg.dbp.de

> Half a bee, philosophically, must ipse facto half not be. But can it be an >
> entire bee, if half the bee is not a bee, due to some ancient injury?      >
Disclaimer: The above stated opinions are not necessarily shared by my
            employers. Some times not even by me.