dam- e.coli

Ashok Aiyar axa12 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Sep 17 13:29:05 EST 1992

In article <9209171348.AA21614 at phobos.med.pitt.edu> bsh at MED.PITT.EDU (Basavaraju Shankarappa) writes:

>This question is for people who have worked with dam- E.coli.
>I was given a dam- strain called GM33.  When I attempted to make competent
>cells by the CaCl2 procedure, the cells would aggregate kind of precipitate
>the moment 100 mM CaCl2 solution is added.

We use a strain called GM161.  It seems to transform reasonably well with
supercoiled DNA.  We do use a standard CaCl2 procedure.  With ligated DNA,
you are better off transforming another strain and then moving supercoiled
DNA back into the dam- strain.

Electroporation doesn't seem to work too well with this strain.

Ashok