Re Bcl1, and dam- strains

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Thu Sep 17 14:57:32 EST 1992

In article <9209171702.AA05173 at genbank.bio.net>, BI599023 at BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Pamela Norton) writes:

>     I just thought I'd point out that, in my experience, dam- strains
>not only grow poorly but transform abysmally. I wouldn't attempt to
>transform a ligation mix directly, for instance. However, you can get
>enough CCC DNA in to grow up a batch of unmethylated DNA. This is one
>reason (there may be others) that these strains are not used routinely.
>
>Pamela Norton

	Perhaps dam- strains "trasnform abysmally" via CaCl2/competence,
	but it's been my experience that these strains still give good
	transformation frequencies when transformed by electroporation.
	(i.e., 10*8 to 10*9 transformants/ug).

*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284    *
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953    *
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu  *
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                          *