UV Shadowing

DAVID F. BISHOP BISHOP at MSVAX.MSSM.EDU
Wed Sep 16 15:17:42 EST 1992

>In a previous article, SMITH_DENNIS_P at LILLY.COM ("DENNIS P. SMITH") says:

>>Need advice of how to take photograph of an oligonucleotides using UV
>>shadowing. Can anyone suggest a reliable technique? Thanks DPSMITH
>>

>Put your gel on a piece of Saran Wrap, and lay it atop a fluorescing
>substrate (More on this below).  Then use a hand illuminator to shine
>through the gel, and detect dark spots on the otherwise bright background.

>Finding the right fluorescing plate is sometimes tricky.  What always works
>is the glass cellulose TLC plates that are marked "with fluorescence
>indicator"; maybe the plastic plates or the silica TLC plates work too.

The plastic-backed TLC plates that we always use work well and have a bright
green fluorescence.  They are distributed by Brinkman Instruments, Inc
and are Macherey-Nagel Polygram SIL G/UV254 plates.  25/box, 20x20 cm.
The lot we are using is about 10 years old, but I presume they are still
available.  They last a long time if you wrap them with plastic film.

David Bishop                             | EMail:Internet:Bishop at msvax.mssm.edu
Div. of Medical and Molecular Genetics   |         Bitnet:Bishop at msrcvax
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Box 1203 | Phone: (212) 241-6946
Fifth Avenue and 100th Street            | FAX:   (212) 360-1809
New York, NY 10029                       | AOL: DFBishop