UV Shadowing

Dennis J. Templeton djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Fri Sep 11 12:48:41 EST 1992

In a previous article, SMITH_DENNIS_P at LILLY.COM ("DENNIS P. SMITH") says:

>Need advice of how to take photograph of an oligonucleotides using UV
>shadowing. Can anyone suggest a reliable technique? Thanks DPSMITH

Put your gel on a piece of Saran Wrap, and lay it atop a fluorescing
substrate (More on this below).  Then use a hand illuminator to shine
through the gel, and detect dark spots on the otherwise bright background.

Finding the right fluorescing plate is sometimes tricky.  What always works
is the glass cellulose TLC plates that are marked "with fluorescence
indicator"; maybe the plastic plates or the silica TLC plates work too.  We
use instead an intensifying screen, but it turns out that many screens
don't work (they don't fluoresce brightly)... we tried about 15 and only
one (an old one with lots of cracks) works for us.

If you use the glass fluorescing plates, you can put the gel on a
transilluminator, cover with Saran, then place the plate over and view from
the top, i.e. the back of the plate.

good luck,

dennis