Subtracted mRNA probes for bacteria?

Michael Benedik bchs1b at Elroy.UH.EDU
Thu Sep 10 00:08:16 EST 1992

I have been wondering whether it is possible to apply the technique
of making subtracted cDNA probes from bacterial RNA. I know this is
pretty routine in the eucaryotic world, but making bacterial cDNA is not.
What I would like to do is identify whether there are any genes being
expressed under one environmental condition which are not expressed under
another different condition. I don't want to use genetic approaches but
would like to directly probe southern blots and/or libraries. So is it
possible to prepare cDNA probes from bacterial mRNA??? (I guess I should
say RNA since you can't separate the mRNA from the stable RNA). They don't
need to be full length probes.

Would random priming using RT on RNA do the trick? Has this been done before?

Any and all suggestions welcome.