UV Shadowing

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Sep 29 10:52:08 EST 1992

In article <19ss5jINN2dh at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>
djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu (Dennis J. Templeton) writes:

:>>Hi!  To UV shadow an oligonucleotide, we pick the gel up on an intensifying
:>>screen - like you would get out of a film casette.  Then, we shine a hand-held
:>>UV lamp on it in the dark.  To take a photograph, we just put the UV lamp down

:>I mentioned this once before, but it is worth repeating... Not ALL
:>intensifying screens work for this application, some just barely glow.
:>Specifically, none of our Dupont Cronex (bought 2 years ago) work.
:>If yours does, set it aside for this purpose.
:>TLC plates "with fluorescence indicator" all seem to work though.

:>dennis

Some people also use plain white typing paper, but this is not
as sensitive. It was mentioned in B.R.L. Focus 9:3, pg.16 (1987)
and 10:3, pg.57 (1988).

Paul N. Hengen
National Cancer Institute
Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA