Size of exons and introns?

Dr. N.A. Affara naffara at
Wed Sep 30 09:51:14 EST 1992

This may have been asked before....

Does anyone know the maximum, minimum, (if any) and average size of exons
and introns in human DNA?

The reason I am asking is that I am trying to design PCR primers from
cDNA sequence and I want to have some idea of the exon/intron sizes.

(E-mail naffara at

Kryten (When Cat says why don't we raise the defensive shields?) "A superlative
suggestion sir,with only two drawbacks: one,we don't have any defensive shields
and two,we don't have any defensive shields.I know that,technically,that's only
one drawback,but it was such a big one I thought I'd mention it twice".