staining western blots for oligosaccharide

marder at agri.huji.ac.il marder at agri.huji.ac.il
Thu Apr 1 06:46:25 EST 1993

In article <1pcve1INNg4h at matt.ksu.ksu.edu>, drintoul at matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David A Rintoul) writes:
> Does any one know of (or have references for) methods for
> staining western blots that are specific for oligosaccharides?
> Can reagents (such as orcinol, resorcinol) that are used in
> TLC applications be used for staining western blots?  Any
> help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
>
> Dave
> --
> Dave Rintoul                Internet: drintoul at matt.ksu.edu
> Biology Division - KSU     Latitude 39.18, Longitude -96.34
> Manhattan KS 66506-4901                         TCN: id2418
> (913)-532-5832 or 6663                  FAX: (913)-532-6653

You could consider using labelled lectins.  I have in the past used
biotiylated lectins (wide range of specifities available) and picked up
the signal using avidin-alkaline phosphatase + substrates.
--
                                 '      Jonathan B. Marder
Internet: MARDER at AGRI.HUJI.AC.IL |      Department of Agricultural Botany