single letter bases

John Nash nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Fri Apr 2 20:45:30 EST 1993

In article <1993Apr2.213624.25973 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> skspoidn at reading.ac.uk writes:
>From: skspoidn at reading.ac.uk
>Subject: single letter bases
>Date: 2 Apr 93 21:37:14 GMT

>S=GC, W=AT...S stands for strong, W for weak,
> correspondong to 3 or 2 H bonds and the strength
>of the pairing in the link.

>That leaves K (keto) which is G or T
>M (which means methyl) and is A or C

>Personally, I find all of these easy to remember except K vs M.
> The mnemonic I use here is that since G can be methylated,
>it must start out Ketone (ie K),
>and from this all others can be derived :)

This is neato!  I never can remember S, W, K or M... the others are pretty
easy to remember.

Thanks...

cheers, John

John Nash                           | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
Institute for Biological Sciences,  | National Research Council of Canada,
Cell Physiology Group.              | Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.