Urchin oocyte cDNA library (query)

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Fri Apr 2 11:39:20 EST 1993

In article <1993Apr1.231927.4056 at leland.Stanford.EDU> cpatil at leland.Stanford.EDU (Christopher Kashina Patil) writes:
>I am looking for a cDNA library meeting the following criteria:
>
>1) Derived from whole mRNA of the oocyte of the urchin species
>	L. pictus or S. purpuratus.
>
>2) cDNAs are ligated into inducible E.coli expression vectors which
>	contain at least one antibiotic-selectable marker.
>
>If you know of the existence of such a library (by personal association
>or knowledge of some literature reference) please email me. Thanks very
>much in advance.

A few gopher searches might be of help to you.  If you've never
heard of gopher don't worry it's free and on the net.

Point your gopher client at merlot.welch.jhu.edu and selct the

 -->  14. Searching For Biologists/

directory and then the following search:

 -->  2.  Search for All Researchers funded by NIH <?>

A search for:

urchin and library

turns up the following entries:

 -->  1.  SANTIAGO, CARLOS L UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO .
      2.  LABORDA, J FDA .
      3.  MUCHMORE, A V NCI, NIH .
      4.  SLOBODA, ROGER D DARTMOUTH COLLEGE .
      5.  MC CLAY, DAVID R, JR DUKE UNIVERSITY .
      6.  RAFF, RUDOLF A INDIANA UNIVERSITY .
      7.  FLYTZANIS, CONSTANTIN N BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE .
      8.  WILT, FRED H UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA .

A search for:

urchin and libraries

turns up two additional entries:

 -->  2.  NISHIOKA, DAVID J GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY .
      3.  BLACK, STEVEN D REED COLLEGE .

Another person I know is big in the urchin fieeld is Bill Marzluff -
so lets search for him:

marzluff and urchin

Sure enough he's there:

 -->  1.  MARZLUFF, WILLIAM F UNIV OF NORTH CAROLINA .

and the entry reads as follows:

-PROJECT NUMBER......5 R01 GM27789-14

PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR

MARZLUFF, WILLIAM F
UNIV OF NORTH CAROLINA
CB# 7100  101 MBBRL
CHAPEL HILL, NC 27599-7100
PERFORMING ORGANIZATION: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL
TITLE   Small nuclear RNA synthesis in development

ABSTRACT:

    The objective of the project is to understand how gene activity is
    controlled in early development in sea urchin embryos and in
    mouse embryos.  Using cloned genes for snRNAs we will
    determine the sequences required for correct developmental
    regulation of gene expression.  We will use an in vivo system,
    microinjection of DNA into sea urchin embryos, and an in vitro s-
    dependent system which we have developed.  Protein factors
    involved in transcription and 3' end formation of the sea urchin U1
    RNA will be characterized and we will attempt to detect factors
    involved in developmental regulation.  We will also determine the
    sequence requirements for correct tissue-specific expression of
    the mouse U1b genes.  Additional sea urchin snRNA genes will be
    isolated and characterized.

KEYWORDS:
         laboratory mouse
         sea urchin
         mammalian embryology
         nonmammalian vertebrate embryology
         Saccharomyces
         genetic manipulation
         genetic mapping
         molecular cloning
         cytogenetics
         developmental genetics
         gene expression
         genetic transcription
         animal population genetics
         growth /development
         human tissue
         nucleic acid hybridization
         small nuclear RNA
         RNA biosynthesis
         nucleic acid metabolism
         nucleic acid sequence
         nucleoprotein
         salt water environment

You get the idea.... :-).

Now for a bit more information you could search genbank for:

urchin and library

so back up a directory and select:

-->  3.  Genbank, PIR, Swiss_PROT and other Database Searches/

and search genbank (via the link to Indiana or NIH).

It's amazing what that little gopher can do :-).

Write me a note if you want information on how to get started with gopher.

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu