variation in transfection efficiency

Fiona Fairhurst ff at rri.sari.ac.uk
Fri Apr 16 10:56:52 EST 1993

Can anyone explain why we get such huge variation in transfection
efficiency efficiency when using the calcium phosphate method to
transiently transfect C2C12 myoblasts with a CAT plasmid?  We have tried
numerous theories ranging from pH to amount of DNA to length of
precipitate formation but still cannot explain why on one day
transfection is high and on another low.  Has anyone else experienced
this? or does anyone have suggestions of how to improve consistancy?