PCR short primer products ?

the End jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
Tue Apr 20 16:44:23 EST 1993

Greetings,

In running a PCR with a plasmid based target under relatively non-stringent
conditions (high Mg, 37C annealing) I am seeing short products generated
among several product species. These are not the dread "primer dimer"
that would be caused by the primers annealing to one another, but
consist of the complete primers with viariable (1-3) amounts of As and
Ts between. Is this commonly seen ? Any theories on how they are
generated ? My software does not predict any problems with this primer
pair, by the way.

Thanks much,

Jim
J. Graham
..........."Il n'y a pas des sciences apliquees, mais il y
 ...........a des applications de la science". L. Pasteur..............
.