Colorimetric substrate for RNAse?

Michael S. Kay mikekay at
Wed Apr 21 15:37:07 EST 1993

In article <1993Apr15.132526.19611 at>, Roger Wiegand
<rcwieg at> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a (preferably commercially available) colorimetric or
> fluorometric substrate for ribonuclease A suitable for use in a 96-well
> plate assay?

Yes! There is just such a reagent, which I helped to develop while with
Professor Scheraga's group at Cornell.  The reference of the paper is
Nucleic Acids Research, 1991 Jan 11, 19(1):1-4.  This paper describes the
synthesis of a reagent (U-3'-BCIP) analogous to X-Gal, which turns blue
upon reaction with RNase.  I don't know if the reagent is commercially
available (probably not), but contact the Scheraga group to find how to get
Hope this info is helpful, and if you need any more information, just let
me know.

Michael :. Kay