Carbenicillin summary

Paul N Hengen pnh at
Mon Aug 2 14:25:53 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul30.202652.18994 at Virginia.EDU>
 mgk2r at Virginia.EDU ("Michael G. Kurilla") writes:

> Carbenecillin cannot be broken down the way ampicillin is
> therefore you see less satellites which are due to local
> destruction of the ampicillin.  That's why satellites form only
> around AmpR colonies in the first place.
> Mike Kurilla
> University of Virginia
> mgk2r at

Mike: Could you explain this further? I thought that the mechanism
of antibiotic resistance is the same for both, ie. the production
of a lactamase. I don't quite understand what you meant above.

1. Does the enzyme attack carbenicillin differently, or

2. Does the carbenicillin inhibit the secretion of the enzyme?

Paul N. Hengen
National Cancer Institute
Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA