Boiling Method for Minipreps (CTAB variation)

Dennis J. Templeton djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Tue Aug 3 17:22:39 EST 1993

In a previous article, vaxkiller.agi.org!rlynch (rick lynch) says:

>In article <23lvng$le at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu (Dennis J.
>Templeton) writes:
>> Transfer to a microfuge tube. No deliberate incubation is needed.  Boil 1.5
>> minutes, spin 15,000 rpm 10 minutes, pluck out pellet with toothpick.  Fill
>> tube with 0.5% CTAB in water (warm to make sure it is dissolved) from a
>squirt
>
>Two questions:
>
>1) What is CTAB?
>
>2) Will the heat resistant nuclease problem associated with
>   HB101 be taken care of by a Phenol/Chloroform extraction
>   before the EtOH ppt. step in the standard boiling mini prep
>   protocol?
>
>Thanks
>
>Rick Lynch
>Agouron Institute
>rlynch at vaxkiller.agi.org

1)  	CTAB is a cationic detergent that binds to DNA in low salt solution and
	results in precipitation, THe acronym stands for Cetyl Trimethyl
	Ammonium Bromide. Our current bottle is labelled Hexadecyltrimethyl
	Ammonium bromide.

2) 	yes.  But why would you?

good luck

dennis