TA cloning vector

Ross Whetten rosswhet at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Aug 4 08:15:49 EST 1993

In article <MAILQUEUE-101.930804101416.334 at micro.uct.ac.za>,
ED at micro.uct.ac.za ("Ed Rybicki") writes:
[stuff deleted]
|>  If you don't want to use Taq to T-
|>tail, or to T-tail with terminal transferase and ddTTP, then you could
|>do
|>what someone here has mooted, which is to cut a plasmid with any
|>enzyme
|>that gives a T at the end of a 3'-overhang, then fill in with Klenow
|>and
|>dC-, dG- and dTTPs (note: no dATP) to get (eg.):
|>
|>                  vector              PCR amplimer        vector
|>        5'-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXGACT XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXA GTCXXXXX-3'
|>        3'-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXCTG AXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX TCAGXXXXX-5'
|>
|>Good luck,

Unfortunately if the end has a 3' overhang it can't be filled in with
Klenow, which requires a 3' recessed end as template/primer. The T-tailing
with Taq has worked OK for me, but the background of colonies with empty
vector was so high that I routinely used colony lifts to find the plasmids
with inserts. I am not really satisfied with any of the methods I've tried
for cloning PCR products; it always seems to be more difficult than cloning
comparably-sized blunt ended restriction fragments.

Ross Whetten
Research Assistant Professor
Forest Biotechnology Group
North Carolina State University