Best sources of protocols for teaching?

Brain Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Wed Aug 4 11:50:26 EST 1993

Dear researchers:

	I am working on building a hypertext protocol notebook for a
graduate-level molecular cloning laboratory class.  I am using HyperCard
as the software development tool, and I am using a variety of sources for
the text, figures, pictures, and video clips that will make up the protocols.

	I am getting most of the protocols from "Molecular Cloning: A
Laboratory Manual" and from "Current Protocols in Molecular Biology", but
I am not entirely satisfied with either of these.  "Current Protocols" is
now available on CD-ROM, by the way.  I have also gotten a lot of good
information from this newsgroup, and I will teach my students to use
GOPHER to search the archives of this group.

	I want my students to learn as many "tricks of the trade" as
possible in this lab.  Both "Molecular Cloning" and "Current Protocols"
have a lot of good information, but they are also lacking in some ways.  I
remember when I was trying to learn to clone a gene by reading these
books.  I had to ask a lot of questions from people who had actually
worked with DNA a lot, in order to fill in some of the gaps.

	Neither "Molecular Cloning" nor "Current Protocols" are big on kits
for example.  Sometimes the kit is the only way to go, if you don't want
to spend a week trouble-shooting before doing the actual work.  Other
times, the kit is a big waste of money.

	My question is:  What other sources of protocols do you use when
writing lab manuals for classes?  Do you know of any lab manuals that are
published that are good enough to had to students as is?

	Thank you for any help you can give me.