Tricine Gel Drying

jo_c at vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au jo_c at vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au
Wed Aug 4 18:47:47 EST 1993

I've been  using a method from Biotechniques Vol. 14(2) p200
that involves shrinking the gels in acetone for about 30mins
and then sandwiching between cellophane.  I dry the sandwich
between a perspex frame but it can been done on a gel dryer
or just weighted down by a book.  I haven't had a gel crack
since switching to this method and I routinely run Trincine/
SDS and Tris-glycine/SDS gels.  The gels shrink about 30-40%
and the bands intensify also the SDS (if using it) precipitates
out and gives a white background but if you dont want this
I have found that soaking in water again for about 1min  before
putting between the cellophane gets rid of it.

Jo Caine
Victorian College of Pharmacy
Melbourne,  Australia