DNA blotting equipment

wetsel_r at msnews.wustl.edu wetsel_r at msnews.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 5 14:47:55 EST 1993

>In article <22l69e$r1b at huon.itd.adelaide.edu.au>,
>rmorona at microb.adelaide.edu.au writes:
>
>Hi
>
>I am interested in speeding up our traditional Southern blotting methods. I
>would appreciated receiving any un-biased opinions on this subject, rather
>than the info presented by sales representatives. Does anyone have
>experience with vacuum blotting versus electroblotting?
>
>Thanks very much.
>
>Renato Morona
>Department of Microbiology
>and Immunology
>University of Adelaide
>Adelaide, South Australia
>Australia
>EMAIL ADDRESS: RMORONA at MICROB.ADELAIDE.EDU.AU

Renato - our lab has used both a positive pressure system (Posiblot by
Stratagene) and a negative pressure system (Vacu-Gene by Pharmacia).  Both
machines perform as expected in our hands.  I don't mean to "toot our own
horns" but we have published genomic Southerns using both systems.  When
push came to shove, we purchased the Pharmacia unit - mainly because it was
MUCH better built than the Stratagene unit.  The Stratagene unit worked
just fine but it had a very noisy pump and its quality wasn't the best when
after use, some of the plumbing began to fall off and we had to use wire
and tape to hold it all together!  However, the Pharmacia machine was more
expensive but we sort of knew that ahead of time.  For either genomic or
cosmid/plasmid DNA Southerns the vacugene works great!  Mind you, we only
have one machine and six Altec blotting stones just in case more than one
Southern needs to be run.  As of yet, we have yet to transfer a Northern
using the sodium phosphate transfer solution (Virca et al, Biotechniques
8:370-371 (1990) which also works very well for us ;-)

Best Wishes,
David

+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.	     Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"   +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med.   A.K.A : The Compiler                 +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116     ICBM-Net : Just hit St. Louis        +
+  400 S. Kingshighway               &-6  <- User is Brain Dead...        +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110              FAX: 314-454-2476                    +
+  (314) 454-6076                    Never will be politically correct!   +