PCR primers

rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 11:41:23 EST 1993

Sorry, this bounced from Nottingham.
Nigel,

        Have you heard of PRIMER?  Here is some info cribbed from the docs....

- -----------------------------CUT HERE---------------------------
PRIMER: A Computer Program for Automatically Selecting PCR Primers

Version 0.5, May 1991by Stephen E. Lincoln, Mark J. Daly, and Eric S. Lander
MIT Center for Genome Research and
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research
Nine Cambridge Center
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142

Send Inquiries to "Primer c/o The Lander Lab" at the above address.
Email to "primer at genome.wi.edu" (Internet) or "lander at mitwibr" (Bitnet)
FAX 617-258-6505

PRIMER is copyright 1991 by The Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research,
all rights are reserved.  PRIMER may be freely used and distributed, but only
under specific conditions as outlined in the license included in this
document.  Any other use is a violation of applicable laws and regulations.

        However,
"PLEASE NOTE; This program is designed to assist in the design of
unique primers for PCR on known sequences. It does not address the question of
degenerate primers, nor does it incorporate the use of modified bases such as
Inosine."  (DJGR 1991)

        I'd give it a blast - we've used it succesfully in designing quite
weird primers....

--
Richard P. Grant