Boiling Method for Minipreps (Lysozyme necessary?)

Dennis J. Templeton djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Thu Aug 5 10:12:46 EST 1993

In a previous article, jow at helix.nih.gov (Jim Owens) says:

>In article <9308032222.AA20703 at calshp.cals.wisc.edu> ,
>jchen at CALSHP.CALS.WISC.EDU writes:
>>As a matter of fact, I prefer HB101 as a
>>host because cells are easy to resuspend into the lysozyme buffer.
>
>Somewhere in my collection of references there is a report about lysozyme
>not being necessary, and even reducing plasmid yield, in some strains of
>_E. coli_.  So I could not help wondering if anyone has tried a boiling
>miniprep without adding lysozyme.
>
>I personally use the alkaline lysis method modified somewhat, but without
>lysozyme, for mini-, midi- and maxipreps of plasmids.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Jim Owens

I read this once too, in TIG, and promptly tried it.  With HB101's at
least, a little lysozyme is necessary.  I guess for other strains it might
not be.
dennis