Expression of possibly toxic proteins in E. coli

Michael Holland M.Holland at dwe.csiro.au
Thu Aug 5 23:38:08 EST 1993

We are trying to express sequence from a rabbit sperm protein in XL1-blue.
We have no idea of the function of this protein and data base searching
shows no significant homology with existing proteins. This isn't too
surprising as it seems to be sperm specific and not present in other
tissues. Plasmid minipreps carried out on pFLAG containing the sequence in
frame give very low yields. When cells containing these plasmids were grown
with IPTG the growth rate is slow. All this suggests toxicity. Where do we
go from here? Can someone point me to a discussion of the alternative for
dealing with this sort of problem?
Michael K Holland PhD
Principal Research Scientist
CRC for Biological Control of