ULTRA FAST ligation

Dr. A. Rosenthal arosenth at crc.ac.uk
Sat Aug 7 05:37:32 EST 1993

Dear All,

some time ago - I think February - there was an NAR paper by some guys at
University of California, Santa Barbara, on Ultrasonic Ligations.
They claimed, that they were able to perform plasmid blunt end ligations
in 5-20 minutes with efficiencies compareable to 12-16 hour ligations @ 4'C
without ultrasound. The protocol was realy simple too. Basically all one
had to do was to put the ligation into an ultrasonic cleaning bath (I think
they used a Fisher model) and then wait for 20 minutes, done!
I tried to contact these guys, but they would not reply. Unfortunately I
have not been able to find a cleaning bath around here to try it myself,
but I am still very interested, and would like some confirmation before
spending $$ on one.

I am sure it is interesting enough for somebody out there to try out, if
you do (or have) please let me know with what results.

Thanks for every comment.