Collagen Removal from Acid Solutions

Carl Weatherell weathere at emr1.emr.ca
Mon Aug 9 13:30:16 EST 1993

	I am presently examining the effects of collagen based animal
glues on the electrolysis of zinc in commercial zinc electrolytes.
I am using SEC in denaturing (SDS 3.5mM, pH=4, I=0.1M) eluents.
The problem I am currently facing is how to extract the collagen
fragments from solutions containing 2.0M H2SO4 and a suite of
transition metals.  Since the glue concentration is nominally
between 1-30 mg/L traditional de-salting procedures are not
appropriate.  Also, I am trying to stay clear of ultra-filtration
as a sample workup due to long sample processing times.  Does
anyone have a quick protocol for extracting protein-SDS complexes
from solution?  Solid phase extraction (SPE) or even solvent extraction
protocols are welcome.

Carl Weatherell

email  weathere at emr1.emr.ca