cross-linking DNA strands

SEGAL, DAVID JAY djs1539 at cc.utah.edu
Tue Aug 10 00:33:00 EST 1993

In article <01H1HWTXQLS28WWPEL at acs.wooster.edu>, wmorgan at ACS.WOOSTER.EDU (William R. Morgan) writes...
{>DAVID JAY)...
{
{>The molecule you quest for is psoralen.  Psoralen is a very well characterized
{>intercalator which, upon UV (apx. 650nm) irradiation, forms mono- and
{>di-adducts primarily with pyrimidine bases, in fact primarily thymidines.
{
{I think you mean apx. _250_ nm for UV irradiation; 650 nm is obviously in
{the visible light range.
{
{Humbly,
{Bill Morgan

Bill,
Yes, I stand humbly corrected.  Actually though, I ment to say 350 nm.
The longer wavelength results in crosslinking, the shorter wavelengths
(250 nm, for example) reverse the crosslinks.
Thank you for noticing my blunder.

- Dave Segal