erythromycin stock prepn

RPSCOTT RSCOTT at IRRI.CGNET.COM
Tue Aug 10 19:53:31 EST 1993

> From:	IN%"<@CGNET.COM:NetID at cornell.edu>"  "NetID"    10-AUG-1993 11:28
>
> Bioslaves,
> Any ideas on how to make up an erythromycin stock solution i.e. dissolve
> in ethanol, base, acid, etc.  Pls. post reference if you have one.
> Ola Sodeinde

The Sigma 1993 Catalog has a useful tabulation of technical information
on antibiotics they are marketting.

Now with respect to your inquiry: eythromycin is soluble in either 2 M HCl or
absolute ethanol. Recommended stock concentration is 100 mg per liter. The
Sigma table didn't specify whether the acid or the alcohol solution should
be used but I suppose the latter will be better. Furthermore, shelve your
tocks at subzero temperature. At 37 degrees C, the stability  of an
erythromycin stock is limited to 3 days.

Good day! :-)

Scott
Plant Pathology Division
International Rice Research Institute