SST tubes, a cheap alternative

John Nash nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Tue Aug 10 16:59:51 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug10.175048.1 at molbiol.ox.ac.uk> mwgaunt at molbiol.ox.ac.uk writes:

>   The company 5'-> 3 Prime ( address by Graham Atherton, 5 Aug 1993)
>   catagorises its gel barriers, which it terms phase lock gels, as heavy
>   and light depending on the density. The two catagories are used for
>   different manipulations, for instance high is always used on RNA
>   extractions ( psst company seems eager to give free samples).
>
>                                        Hope this helps

>                                           Mike Gaunt (mwgaunt at ac.ox.uk.)
>
>                                           Inst. Virology
>                                           Oxford  UK.

Usually I avoid phenol whenever I can, but when extracting DNA from
methanogens, I have to phenol extract it to get it to cut.  SInce I started
using Phase Lock gel tubes (from 5' -> 3'), my DNA yield has increased
substantially from not leaving half of the sample in the tube to avoid
capturing the interface.  I use the 15 ml centrifuge tube and Phase Lock
Heavy for this.

The other time I use Phase Lock (Light) gel is when phenol extracting after
primer extension of bacterial RNA.

Both work well... usual disclaimers apply.

  cheers, John

  John Nash                           | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
  Institute for Biological Sciences   |
  National Research Council of Canada | Email to my other NRC accounts
  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.            | is usually forwarded here.