Ultra Fast Ligations

Dr. A. Rosenthal arosenth at crc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 10 06:34:51 EST 1993

In article <2575 at rc1.vub.ac.be>, dacoo at is2e.vub.ac.be (Coornaert D.) writes:
> Hum Hum,
> I find strange that sonication would increase the ligation rate
> Sonication is most often use for breaking DNA.
> That the authors do not answer, make me think that this was
> a first April joke .
>
> May the Ligase be with you !

Well, there is hardly anybody who would not be surprised I guess, but my theory is along
the lines, that ultrasound enhances the collision frequency of the DNA molecules, and
therefore the apparent concentration, which would explain the mechanism.
Of course the frequency of ultrasound used in a sonicator is higher than that in the
cleaning baths used in the ref. I gave, leading to DNA breakage due to collision.