Wedge gels (try #2)

John J Welch jwelch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed Aug 11 11:15:51 EST 1993

Dear Net:

	I am interested in sequencing/footprinting on relatively small
DNA sequences.  A 20% denaturing PAGE gel will accomodate almost the entire
sequence, but the smallest fragments usually get very spread-out and the
very smallest  zip right off the end of the gel.  One person suggested
pouring a gel of variable thickness to create an electrical field gradient.
Large pieces would migrate faster, small pieces would migrate slower, relative
to their mobilities in a standard "flat" gel.  This makes sense to me, and
I have seen examples of such gels.  After checking searching the archives
for this group, I have seen nothing on this topic except a reference to
thermal gradient gels which may yield similar results.

	I would like to see if anyone has had experience with E-field
gradient gels, or if anyone can give pointers to literature on the subject.
According to the person who recommended this technique, his lab used to
home-make the spacers out of nylon plastic sheets using a lathe.  Can
anyone recommend a commercial supplier?

	Thanks in advance for information.  Please respond by Email to

	welch at sc3101.med.buffalo.edu

	Or reply via this newsgroup.

Sincerely,

John Welch